Policy Director, Commerce and Consumer Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Policy Director - Position Description, June2021.pdf (PDF, 1.04MB)
|Application Close Date:||27-Oct-2021|
- Be a thought leader on key issues affecting consumers and businesses
- Opportunity for seasoned policy expert in a high profile policy portfolio
- Join the Small Business, Commerce & Consumer Policy leadership team
- Flexible working arrangements available
We are looking for a Policy Director to shape the agenda in the Commerce and Consumer Policy area.
About the role
We work to ensure that outcomes for consumers are fair, while supporting an innovative and competitive environment for businesses to operate in. We deliver a wide range of advice across five broad regulatory systems – Consumer, Competition, Intellectual Property, Corporate Law, and Financial Markets – that have a real impact on New Zealanders. We play a key role in the economic and social recovery of New Zealand in countering the impacts from COVID-19.
Our Policy Director supports the General Manager by leading initiatives for the branch and influencing the broader work of the Ministry. As part of the branch senior leadership team, you will influence the environment in which businesses and consumers operate, to ensure that outcomes for consumers are fair and businesses can thrive.
Our Policy Directors work autonomously while leveraging off the expertise across the branch. This allows you to focus on leading our significant strategic work programmes across government and within the sectors.
You will work collaboratively with senior managers to build the capability of the branch and to ensure the quality and consistency of policy advice and practices to support MBIE's strategic direction. You will be a leader and an expert, bringing significant depth of experience, political nous, and strong relationship skills.
Skills and experience for the role
- Strategic thinking skills and the ability to make connections within and between work programmes across the organisation and beyond
- A wide ranging knowledge of policy development disciplines and processes, including the latest developments in techniques and practices
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with Ministers, senior public service officials, internal and external stakeholders
- The desire to work on whole-of-organisation, whole-of-government and whole-of-public sector issues
- A tertiary qualification, preferably post-graduate, in social science, economics, law, public policy or a related discipline and relevant experience in a senior public sector role
- Significant experience in leading policy work at senior levels, working with regulatory policy and policy design
- Demonstrated political nous and pragmatism – and an ability to partner with others
Come work with smart and driven people that want to make a difference
MBIE is an incredibly diverse organisation, employing more than 4,000 people across a range of roles. We share a commitment to growing New Zealand for all. We are committed to providing more contemporary, flexible ways of working so our people can work in a way that best suits them, their work and their life. That includes giving our people more choice about when, how and where they work.
Click on the APPLY button below in order to start the online application process. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process. We welcome your questions and enquiries regarding these roles. Please feel free to contact Paige Haydock by email – Paige.Haydock@mbie.govt.nz quoting ref MBIE/1572604
Applications close at 5pm on Wednesday 27 October 2021