Policy Advisor, Building Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Policy Advisor - Position Description (002).pdf (PDF, 1,015KB)
|Application Close Date:||20-Oct-2021|
- Help solve complex policy challenges facing the building and construction sector
- Work to improve the regulatory system to deliver safe, healthy and durable buildings
- Be supported as part of a diverse team to grow your policy craft and career
- Two permanent positions available in Wellington or Christchurch
About our MBIE policy community
MBIE has a diverse range of policy, regulatory and service delivery responsibilities that help build the economic success of New Zealand. Our purpose is to “grow New Zealand for all” and our work makes a difference to many aspects of New Zealanders' daily lives. This work is all the more important with many key government priorities being delivered in 2021 and beyond. There couldn't be a better time to join us and make an impact!
MBIE has a well-established public policy community. We work with multiple Ministers across a wide range of subjects; from building and resources, to science and innovation, to Maori economic development, to labour and employment, plus many more. Our work programmes are as interesting as they are varied. For more information go to: MBIE Policy Community.
About our Policy Advisors
Our Policy Advisors support some of the most interesting, complex and high profile government projects. Working alongside experienced and supportive policy professionals they develop and apply their public policy skills and experience to deliver results for New Zealand.
They use their strong communication skills to engage and work collaboratively with various groups. They bring a base knowledge of public policy as well as an understanding of the machinery of government, Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles, to better position New Zealand for the future.
Our Policy Advisors work across different levels to learn from experts and build their own knowledge. With the wide variety of work across the different policy areas, there are numerous opportunities to develop their policy craft and build their careers within MBIE.
Salary range: $69,369 to $88,295 p.a.
Are you who we are looking for?
We are looking for motivated people with experience solving problems and formulating high-quality policy advice for a range of stakeholders and projects.
Ideally you will:
- Have a good base of experience in public policy as a Policy Advisor and/or transferrable skills from an advisory, legal or similar role
- Bring knowledge of policy development disciplines and processes
- Enjoy working on complex problems, generating ideas and coming up with solutions
- Have the ability to build relationships with others and work collaboratively
- Be good at communicating complex information orally, visually and in writing
- Have the ability to work through ambiguity and deliver results
About the Building Policy team
The Building Policy team's goal is to lift the performance of the building and construction regulatory system and drive better outcomes for the sector and for New Zealanders.
We do this by advising the Minister of Building and Construction on legislation and regulations aimed at delivering safe, healthy and durable buildings for everyone.
Our team is diverse and fast-paced and we work with a broad range of stakeholders. We have a dynamic and flexible team environment with team members working across Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin.
Why work in Building Policy?
You'll be working to ensure that New Zealanders have safe, healthy and durable buildings. There's a huge variety to the work we do – so you'll be able to play to your strengths but also have stretch opportunities to support your development.
We are currently working on a range of issues, include:
- Making regulations to support the Building (Building Products and Methods, Modular Components and Other Matters) Amendment Bill.
- Making changes to the licensed building practitioners scheme and engineering occupation regimes to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- Reviewing the consumer protection measures in the Building Act.
- Ensuring New Zealand's dam infrastructure is appropriately maintained and that the risk to the public is managed.
- Improving protections for subcontractors where retention money is held.
- Investigating options for a new system for building consenting.
- Investigating options to support earthquake-prone building owners to comply with their obligations.
Come join us and make a difference to New Zealanders
Click on the APPLY button to submit your CV and cover letter which includes your preferred work location. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process. We welcome your enquiries – for a confidential chat please contact Paige firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref MBIE/1501614
Applications close 5pm Wednesday 20 October 2021