General Manager Science, Innovation and International | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| GM Science Innovation and International PD 2021.pdf (PDF, 1.04MB)
|Application Close Date:||03-Oct-2021|
- Critical Leadership role within Labour, Science and Enterprise @MBIE
- Be at epicentre of deploying research and innovation to solve some of New Zealand's biggest challenges
- Lead the Space Agency policies, regulation and sector development
The research, science and innovation system is big, technically complex, and international – which makes the work interesting, varied, and challenging. We have an extensive programme of work across the research, science and innovation system.
We are now looking for a General Manager, with significant public sector experience to lead and guide the way forward in this exciting, sometimes complex, arena.
About the role
The General Manager Science, Innovation and International, GM SII, leads the development and delivery of policy advice relating to research, science and innovation. The role also leads important elements of MBIE's international activities, including our international engagement strategy. The GM, SII develops the strategic direction for the research, science and innovation system, including the identification of system-wide priorities and high-level system design.
As a member of the Labour, Science and Enterprise (LSE) Group's Leadership Team, this role will actively contribute to the development of LSE's strategy and business plans and will provide inspiring leadership.
- Possesses a strategic outlook with the intellectual capability to analyse large, complex issues and readily grasp and synthesise the ideas, analysis and advice produced by others
- An in depth understanding of government structures, processes, planning and reporting requirements
- Knowledge of science research, evaluation and analytical disciplines
- Significant experience in influencing policy makers and other stakeholders
- Significant experience leading large work programmes, taking into account both strategic and operational needs
- Experience in leading a research or modelling and analysis function.
- Experience in developing strategies, work programmes and performance targets, with supporting measurement, monitoring and reporting mechanisms
- Experience in managing expenditure and resources in line with approved guidelines, budget, deadlines and reporting requirements,
- A tertiary qualification (preferably post-graduate) in science, economics or a related discipline
- Ability to obtain and maintain a top level governmental security clearance
MBIE is one of New Zealand's largest, most influential and most diverse public sector agencies. This means that we are able to offer significant opportunities for developing experience across a broad variety of areas.
We aim to create a culture where our people are empowered to bring fresh ideas and perspectives and to develop new approaches.
We also take the time to foster a work environment that is enjoyable for all. This means we like to collaborate, support and encourage our people, encourage excellence and innovation and take the time to have some fun and celebrate our successes.
How to apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. Where you are invited complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process
We welcome your inquiries please contact: Jane.firstname.lastname@example.org in complete confidence
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday 3rd October 2021
Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or New Zealand permanent residents
Applicants must be able to obtain and maintain a top secret security clearance