Policy Director, Small Business and Strategic Programmes | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Policy Director SBSP May 2021 .pdf (PDF, 709KB)
|Application Close Date:||20-Jun-2021|
- Influential leadership role
- Challenging, visible and diverse role
- Wide scope to make a tangible difference to New Zealanders
About the role:
We are looking for a highly experienced policy leader to join the Small Business and Strategic Programmes branch in a permanent role. The focus of the role will be on:
- Leading and influencing complex policy across MBIE and government, with a focus on understanding and addressing issues that will make the most difference for the 97% of NZ businesses that are small
- Engaging with external stakeholders, including leading engagement with our Ministerial Advisory Group, and being part of international forums for small business
- Helping to shape and deliver our work programme, including leading key pieces of work
- Collaboration and engagement with leaders in MBIE's service delivery areas to ensure a collective approach to issues of importance to small businesses
The Policy Director is a leadership role, and acts as an important advisor and support to both the GM Small Business and Strategic Programmes, and the manager Small Business. The Policy Director will be expected to play a role in helping grow policy talent across the branch.
Skills and experience required:
We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- Extensive experience in a policy leadership role
- Strong relationship management and influencing skills, including with Ministers, senior officials, internal and external stakeholders and the ability to engage with and take into account a diverse range of perspectives
- Ability to operate as part of the Branch leadership team including working alongside managers and teams to build and enhance policy capability
- The legal right to live and work in New Zealand
About the team:
The Small Business and Strategic Programmes Branch was established in late 2019, and brings together MBIE's small business focused policy functions, and strategic initiatives intended to particularly support small business.
The teams in the branch include:
- Small business policy
- Better 4 Business, which acts as the voice of business within government
- Digital Boost – which is helping small businesses to learn to utilise digital technology
Why work for us?
MBIE's purpose is to “Grow New Zealand for All”. The Small Business and Strategic Programmes Branch works on those issues that will make the most difference for the 97% of New Zealand businesses that are small. Our people are empowered to bring fresh perspectives to issues and to think outside the box.
As the largest policy shop in NZ, MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing leadership and broader policy experience across a broad variety of areas. We encourage excellence and proactively support development through on-the-job learning, training courses, conferences and seminars, development programmes, secondments, rotations to other branches and study opportunities. We'll help you manage a healthy work-life balance with flexi-time and access to health insurance.
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref MBIE/1535464/21F if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on 20th June 2021