Senior Solicitor | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description Senior Solicitor 1 - Feb 21.pdf (PDF, 631KB)
|Application Close Date:||12-May-2021|
- Collaborative and supportive team culture
- Help support MBIE's core purpose of growing New Zealand for all.
- Permanent role, Wellington based
- $110,643 - $121,570
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a senior solicitor to join the MBIE Legal Branch as part of our Corporate & Registries Team.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated senior solicitor to help support MBIE's core purpose of growing New Zealand for all.
The Corporate & Registries team provides general legal advice to all of MBIE's operations, including in relation to MBIE's 16 different regulatory systems. The team also provides advice on governance, integrity and conduct matters that touch the organisation. This creates opportunities for our lawyers to work in relation to a range of different regulatory systems and operational areas, depending on their experience and interest.
We are seeking a senior solicitor to work with an initial regulatory focus on energy markets to ensure that New Zealand's focus on oil, gas, minerals and coal resources are effectively managed so that New Zealanders have secure, sufficient and affordable energy and resources to drive our economy and way of life.
You will be enthusiastic and highly motivated and ideally have legal experience in the fields of privacy, OIA requests, information sharing, and/or regulatory compliance, as well as strong communication and relationship management skills.
Qualifications, skills and experience required:
- A tertiary qualification in law and a current practising certificate
- Strong public sector legal experience
- A solid understanding of the mechanisms of government, including regulatory compliance and enforcement or a desire to learn about them
- Strong legal technical skills
- Experience working in relation to one or more of MBIE's regulatory systems would be an advantage
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills (allowing you to convey key ideas and issues in a way that is suitable to the audience)
- Strong relationship management skills and an ability to work well with others
- Enthusiasm, drive and a proactive nature
- Must have legal right to live and work in NZ
Why work for us?
Developing our staff is a key focus for MBIE. We aim to create a culture where staff are empowered to bring fresh perspectives to issues and to think outside the box. Being the largest policy shop in NZ, MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing experience across a broad variety of areas. We encourage excellence and proactively support development through on-the-job learning, training courses, conferences and seminars, development programmes, secondments, rotations to other branches and study opportunities.
The purpose of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is to Grow New Zealand for All. Our goal is to create a strong and high-performing economy by creating an environment that supports businesses to become more productive and internationally competitive.
Our way of working is guided by our values which shape our behaviours.
- Mahi Tahi – Better Together
- Maia – Bold and brave
- Pae Kahurangi – Build our Future
- Pono Me Te Tika – Own It
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Amber Tam at email@example.com quoting ref MBIE/1530315 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Wednesday 12th of May 2021