Manager Science Policy | Wellington
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Attachments:|| Policy Manager Science Policy November 2020.docx (Word, 89KB)
|Application Close Date:||21-Apr-2021|
- Make a difference for future generations by shaping around $1.4 billion of investment for new and transformational research, science and innovation
- Take a leading role in supporting a dynamic, high-performing, research, science and innovation system
- Inspire and lead a team of dedicated, experienced policy staff
- Be part of an effective and high-performing branch that is known for getting things done
- 12 Month Fixed term parental cover role
About the role
The Manager, Science Policy is a high-profile role in New Zealand's research, science and innovation system. New Zealand government spends about $ 1.4 billion per annum on research, science and innovation, and you will lead and manage the team that work on and think about how to develop policy for this important area for New Zealand's future.
The research, science and innovation system is big, technically complex, and international – which makes the work interesting, varied, and challenging. The role has a wide span, from strategic policy to implementation.
The Science Policy team works closely with other teams and experts within MBIE, other ministries, stakeholders and international counterparts to develop strategies, initiatives and funding mechanisms that support a dynamic, high-performing, research, science and innovation system.
The role will appeal to highly motivated, experienced policy managers who are credible, innovative thinkers able to develop breakthrough strategies and bring them to fruition in this challenging and important area.
Who we're looking for
We are looking candidates for who can apply their skills across a wide range of policy issues. In particular, we value:
- Significant experience in leading policy work at senior levels to drive the direction of the team and work programme
- A proven track record of strategic leadership in a complex policy environment
- A sound understanding of current issues, challenges and trends in the research, science and innovation system
- Demonstrated ability to build and establish strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including Ministers, senior decision-makers and international counterparts at a strategic and influencing level in a complex environment
- A tertiary qualification, preferably post-graduate, and relevant experience in a senior public sector role
- Experience in developing and motivating a team to deliver high-quality advice in an evolving environment
- Proven ability to contribute to cross-Branch and cross-Group strategy development
If you are looking for a role which will provide challenge and the opportunity to significantly change the research, science, and innovation landscape in New Zealand then we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this role further with you.
In return, we offer you
MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing experience across a broad variety of areas. We proactively support development through on-the-job learning and we'll help you manage a healthy work-life balance; with flexi-time, healthcare and financial benefits, along with sports teams and social activities.
MBIE supports flexible approaches to work, to ensure that we truly have the best person for the role.
How to Apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website (careers.mbie.govt.nz).
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email email@example.com,nz quoting reference MBIE/1524285 with further questions
Applications close at 5pm Sunday 18th April 2021