Private Secretary | Wellington
|Attachments:|| Private Secretary - MBIE wide 05-01-2021.doc (Word, 350KB)
|Application Close Date:||20-Jan-2021|
Private Secretary – Managed Isolation and Quarantine (MIQ)
- 12-18 Months Fixed Term/Secondment
- February 2021 Start
- Wellington Based
Do you thrive in a fast-paced and challenging role? Are you eager to use your superior influencing, negotiation and multi-tasking skills to make a difference at the political interface? If so, we want to hear from you!
MBIE is seeking Expressions of Interest for the role of Private Secretary (Managed Isolation and Quarantine). This is a secondment or fixed term opportunity for 12 - 18 months starting in February 2021.
You will be, or will have recently been, an experienced senior or principal policy advisor who is looking to further develop their political nous. You will have a passion for being in the thick of it, and relish the opportunity to be exposed to decision-making at the highest level. You will be known for your ability to take initiative and clearly communicate with others.
We need people to be the bridge between the Minister's office and MIQ. This means we are looking for people who can build strong relationships with others, people who can exercise excellent judgement and self-managers who can get on with it and work effectively without direction.
Let's face it, the private secretary role also has a less glamorous side. There is a lot of critical administration and you might work long hours. But you will be rewarded with a unique experience that will allow you to develop invaluable skills to take into your next role. You will also be well supported along the way with career coaching and a firm focus on your pastoral care. If “driven”, “motivated” and “self-starter” are your middle names, we want to hear from you.
Managed Isolation and Quarantine
Managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) is one of the four pillars of New Zealand's response to COVID-19. We help keep New Zealand safe by stopping COVID-19 entering the community from the border. Since July 2020, MBIE has had overall responsibility for MIQ, however, we work with a range of other agencies, including New Zealand Defence Force and the Ministry of Health, to deliver a safe and effective service.
Our work is fast-paced, high-profile and important to the ongoing safety and wellbeing of New Zealanders. The successful person will be someone who can hit the ground running and is comfortable dealing with ambiguity, rapidly changing situations, and working with the operational, strategic and policy arms of MIQ.
What you will need to bring
This role would suit a person who thrives in a fast-paced and challenging work environment, and therefore you will need to demonstrate:
- Sound judgement and a high degree of personal integrity
- Well-developed relationship management skills and confidence working with a wide range of people
- Strong organisational skills with ability to manage and administer processes and meet competing deadlines
- Demonstrated and proven policy experience at an advisor, senior or principal level
- Experience with the machinery of government; particularly ministerial correspondence, OIAs, parliamentary questions
- Experience with executive decision-making; particularly through Cabinet/Cabinet committees; and a good understanding of the legislative process
- Good knowledge of government administration and legal requirements around dealing with private and official information
- Communication skills
- Previous experience working in a minister's office would be a strong asset
The role requires a Confidential Security Clearance.
Click on the APPLY button below. Your application must include your CV and a cover letter detailing your suitability for the position.
If you have any questions about the process or would you like to find out more about this opportunity, please contact: Sarah Hutcheson via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5.00pm, Wednesday 20 January 2021