Practice Lead - Development | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description - Practice Lead Development.pdf (PDF, 626KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-Oct-2020|
- Join our large, high performing ICT Team
- Work in a complex and evolving ICT environment, with an exciting fast paced pipeline of work
- Permanent position, Wellington
Why work for us?
We're part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), a future-focused organisation working to grow a strong, high-performing New Zealand economy. Our diverse range of functions and international reach means real career pathways within MBIE as a whole. That's underpinned by regular development and training, and a culture that supports flexible working.
The ICT team within CGI (Corporate, Governance & Information) empowers and enables the technology solutions which are key to the way the Ministry delivers its services to the public. We are a high performing team delivering high impact outcomes.
About the role:
Reporting to the Manager – Quality Engineering this position is a specialist position with the purpose of leading the development practices across MBIE ICT.
Practice Lead Development will exercise their practice leadership and:
- Develop the development & build methods and tools used by the MBIE ICT development practice and those building software for MBIE
- Promote the use of ICT Development and build methods across MBIE
- Provide strategic advice on the direction of development and build management disciplines within the MBIE ICT practice and those building software for MBIE
- Ensure the practices takes into account MBIE's standard frameworks for risk management, security, disaster recovery, investment planning, workforce impacts, reporting and accountability
- Driving DevOps approaches (where applicable) and ensure alignment between MBIE frameworks and the Software Development Life Cycle
- Ensure that MBIE maintains best practice alignment with the ICT industry, GCIO, other agencies and wider government initiatives
- Train and coach practitioners working as developers
- Set standards for the build activity across MBIE systems
- Defines the catalogue of systems, that are developed and built at MBIE, and identifies those that are built externally. This includes a framework as to where the delivery (build) model for these systems operates such as vendor delivery.
We are looking for you to demonstrate in your Cover Letter & CV the following:
- In depth knowledge and 7+ years' experience in ICT development and build delivery
- A strategic and analytical thinker who is able to make connections between various aspects of the organisation and is able to prepare a cohesive approach across all the elements of a technology-enabled business
- Has a demonstrated ability to develop policies, frameworks procedures and practice guides
- Has experience in coaching and training practitioners in ICT development
- Understanding of ICT functions, environments, business practice and systems
- A knowledge and commitment to DevOps principles and Agile ways of working is required
- Demonstrated experience in leading continuous improvement to enhance ICT performance
- Understanding of government operating and decision making procedures
- Experienced in developing solutions to solve complex organisational problems
- Ability to quickly establish and build strong working relationships and develop trust, credibility, buy-in and collaboration with managers, staff, vendors and other stakeholders
- Ability to influence and lead work through others to get the best outcomes where direct reporting relationships do not exist
- Proven ability to develop trust and credibility with senior managers
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written particularly business writing and reporting.
- A relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent knowledge, skills, and experience
- Certification in software development such as CSDP is required
- Agile and DevOps delivery methodology/experience is desired
- Certification or equivalent qualification or experience in Agile delivery methods is desired
- Must have the legal right to live and work in New Zealand
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, upload a CV & cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Marc Riddell at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref MBIE/1489444 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Wednesday 28th October 2020.