Manager Strategy Governance and Operations | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Manager Strategy Governance and Operations LEAP-August 2020.pdf (PDF, 330KB)
|Application Close Date:||01-Nov-2020|
- Exciting leadership role in MBIE's Legal, Ethics and Privacy Branch
- An opportunity to lead business operations, develop strategy and set governance
- Well connected and respected team with varied, interesting and meaningful work - no day is the same
- Permanent position, Wellington based
About the role
MBIE is recruiting a Manager - Strategy, Governance and Operations.
Reporting to the General Manager, Legal, Ethics and Privacy Branch (LEAP), you will be responsible for business operations, setting the strategy, systems and policies LEAP operates under and ensuring we are well governed. Your focus will be both on current delivery and future direction and operations.
As a key part of the LEAP Leadership Team, you and your team will collectively lead the branch of enthusiastic and highly motivated technical experts who work with business partners across the breadth of MBIE activity.
You will make sure the operations of our branch are working in a way that give effect to the direction of the Branch and MBIE's broader strategy and take advantage of our scale.
We are looking for an experienced leader with strategic nous, solid operations and management skills, robust relationship management abilities and the capability to navigate through ambiguity.
To succeed in the role you will need:
- A customer-centric focus where your work improves the outcome of the LEAP branch and their clients
- Proven success in leading and managing a team and maintaining a team environment focussed on continuous improvement
- The ability to work at all levels of the organisation and relate to and gain the confidence of diverse stakeholders
- Relevant people management and coaching skills to help embed a culture of excellence in your team
- A proven track record of being an integral part of a branch in a medium to large public or similar sector, collaborating with your peers to ensure success for the branch as a whole
- The intellectual capability and judgement to manage multiple activities concurrently
- Experience in operationalising identified opportunities to improve, by way of planning, creating and rolling out changes with well-crafted communications and change management techniques that will be the least disruptive to other LEAP teams
- Experience in leading and identifying opportunities to continuously improve operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the agreed branch strategy
- Experience and knowledge in setting business strategy - including the development of relevant strategies, systems and policy settings with the ability to be forward thinking
- Strategic thinking to accurately understand the overarching MBIE and branch context, current agenda and priorities, applying foresight and judgement to shape the work programme and improvement projects
- Experience with the design and application of applicable frameworks
- Business planning and forecasting know-how in a complex business environment
- Financial management experience, in particular the ability to create and manage large budgets and associated reporting requirements
About the team:
The Legal, Ethics and Privacy team sits within the Corporate, Governance and Information Branch and is responsible for providing comprehensive legal services to all of MBIE. The team works with the organisations business partners so that MBIE can act lawfully and utilise legal frameworks to achieve its goals and manage legal risk.
Why work for us?
Developing our staff is a key focus for MBIE. We aim to create a culture where staff are empowered to bring fresh perspectives to issues and to think outside the box. Being the largest policy shop in NZ, MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing experience across a broad variety of areas. We encourage excellence and proactively support development through on-the-job learning, training courses, conferences and seminars, development programmes, secondments, rotations to other branches and study opportunities.
The purpose of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is to Grow New Zealand for All. Our goal is to create a strong and high-performing economy by creating an environment that supports businesses to become more productive and internationally competitive.
Our way of working is guided by our values which shape our behaviours.
- Mahi Tahi – Better Together
- Maia – Bold and brave
- Pae Kahurangi – Build our Future
- Pono Me Te Tika – Own It
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our online process. Applications sent via email will not be accepted.
For further queries please contact Jo Smith firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference MBIE/1488568.
Applications close at 5pm Sunday 1st November 2020.