Mediator (Auckland) | Auckland
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description - Mediator (Employment) September 2020.pdf (PDF, 634KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Oct-2020|
- Are you an expert in employment relations, with experience or an interest in dispute resolution?
- Do you enjoy helping people resolve their issues, no matter who they are or where they come from?
- Are you unflappable, self-motivated, positive and good with people?
- Do you have experience working with Maori, Pasifika and other cultures?
- Auckland (with the potential to relocate to Manukau)
- Permanent full-time position and/or 6-8 month fixed term position
We're looking for a bright, capable person with significant interest in employment relations to join our high-performing team of mediators on a permanent or fixed term basis
You'll need to be open-minded, engaging and, above all, able to work effectively with people across a range of different cultures and backgrounds. You'll know exactly how to put your great attitude, excellent communication skills and professional know-how to good use to bring about positive results, plus you'll be passionate about working to serve the best interests of clients.
As part of your role you may be required to make recommendations or decisions at the request of parties, and will be dealing with matters ranging from an issue between two work colleagues, contractual disputes, personal grievances, assisting parties with collective bargaining and sometimes quite sensitive matters. It's an important, interesting, varied and challenging job, and no two days will be the same.
Mediators play a critical role under the provisions of the Employment Relations Act, and they're involved in a wide range of employment relations activities – from assisting in the development of good employment relationships in the workplace to prevent disputes arising to helping people resolve employment relationship problems and disputes.
Mediators need to have a flexible attitude as to how the service is delivered, be adept with the use of technology, and have life experience which prepares them well for dealing with people in conflict.
Do you have what it takes?
- Experience and understanding of workplaces and employment relations
- Experience and understanding of dispute resolution processes
- A sound knowledge of New Zealand employment law
- Experience working with Maori, Pacific people and other cultures
- Good written and oral communication skills with people at all levels within an organisation
- Confidence to manage mediation processes with employees and employers
- Ability to earn the confidence and respect of employers, employees, unions, practitioners and other stakeholders
- Ability to work confidentially and professionally, often in emotionally-charged environments
- Ability to contribute to advancing the objectives of the Employment Relations Act
- Accreditation with a professional association such as Resolution Institute or AMINZ is desirable
Please note this role will require you to travel sometimes quite frequently within New Zealand.
To find out more or apply:
Click on the “Apply Now” button to read and download the position description. Please apply directly online, complete the application form and submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role.
Email Monica Chow at Monica.Chow@mbie.govt.nz quoting reference MBIE/1487641 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at Monday 26th October at 8pm