Associate Patent Examiner(Chemistry) | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Associate Patent Examiner level 1 PD - June 2020.docx (Word, 68KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Oct-2020|
- Excellent career path that combines science and law
- Structured progression framework to senior roles
- Flexible working options that work for you
- Entry level permanent opportunities
We help people protect intellectual property
The Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) grants and registers various intellectual property rights in New Zealand. The patents team help people and businesses protect their new inventions by granting a legal right to stop others from making, using, or selling something they have invented. We operate from a great central Wellington location close to buses, trains, and great food. However it may be possible to work in other locations in NZ.
A patent examiners job is diverse and interesting
Working at IPONZ as an associate patent examiner means assessing a patent application containing the newest innovations in chemistry. You'll carry out technical literature reviews and database searches to find out what is known in the field and report if it's new and inventive.
You will be at the forefront of chemical innovation; the applications you investigate will be varied and diverse. You might examine applications relating to biofuels from sustainable resources, pharmaceutical drugs to treat cancer, anti-aging cosmetic formulations, methods to improve crop harvest, or even organic molecules to capture the suns energy.
We are looking for people trained in chemistry
You would be a great candidate if you:
- Have a degree in chemistry (PhD, Masters, or bachelor's)
- Have a desire to learn about intellectual property law
- Can evaluate complex information quickly to make effective decisions
- Can clearly communicate complex ideas in written and verbal form
- Can prioritise work to meet deadlines
- Are a conscientious team member who wants to contribute to a great work culture
- Want to apply your talents to make IPONZ the best patent office in the world
Other things we would also be interested in are:
- Having cross-discipline knowledge (e.g. engineering, biochemistry, genetics, polymer, materials, ICT)
- Work experience in a chemical related field
- Technical or business writing skills
- Experience in training or coaching others
- Any training in law
Benefits of working at IPONZ
- Award winning training program to help you develop a successful career
- Structured and transparent progression pathway to senior level positions
- Flexible working opportunities (eg, flexible hours, remote working, condensed week)
- Starting salary of <<$53603-$63608>> with appointment to be within that range based on relevant skills and experience.
- A management team who are dedicated to your growth and success
- A friendly and inclusive team environment
Here's what you need to apply
Click ‘Apply Now' and tell us how you would be a great associate patent examiner.
To find out more about this position and how to join MBIE, please refer to the attached Role Description or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application must include a Cover Letter, CV and Transcript (official or unofficial).
Applications close 5pm, 26 October 2020