Associate Patent Examiner(Biotechnology) | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Associate Patent Examiner level 1 PD - June 2020.docx (Word, 68KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Oct-2020|
- Excellent career path that combines science and law
- Structured progression framework to senior roles
- Flexible working options that work for you
- Entry level permanent opportunities
We help people protect their inventions
The Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) grants and registers IP rights in New Zealand. Patents help people and businesses protect their new inventions by granting a legal right to stop others from making, using, or selling something they have invented. We operate from a great central Wellington location close to buses, trains, and great food. However it may be possible to work in other locations in NZ.
A patent examiner's job is diverse and interesting
As an Associate Patent Examiner you will have the opportunity to combine scientific knowledge with legal skills, and become part of a unique professional team.
Working at IPONZ as an associate patent examiner, you'll carry out technical literature and database searches to find out what is currently known in the field, and then use sound legal and technical reasoning to report whether the application is new and inventive in light of that information.
We are looking for people trained in biotechnology
Biotechnology in this context covers a diverse variety of inventions. You might examine applications relating to plant-based meat substitutes, 3D printed skin grafts, endophytes, new cancer treatments, antibodies, breakthroughs in genetic engineering, creamier yoghurt or tastier potatoes.
You will receive formal training on patent law and practice as well as professional searching techniques, together with ongoing mentoring to support your professional development.
You'll be a great candidate if you:
- Have a relevant degree or industry experience in biotechnology or related technical fields, and a genuine interest in technology
- Have a desire to learn about IP law
- Can evaluate complex information quickly to make effective decisions
- Can clearly communicate complex ideas in written and verbal form
- Have strong written and verbal English language skills to communicate complex ideas clearly
- Can prioritise and manage work to meet deadlines
- Are a focused, conscientious and adaptable team member
We're also interested in:
- Technical or business writing skills
- Previous training in IP law or patent searching
- Experience in training or coaching others
Benefits of working at IPONZ
- Award winning training program to help you develop a successful career
- Structured and transparent progression pathway to senior level positions
- Flexible working opportunities (e.g., flexible hours, remote working, condensed week)
- Starting salary of <<$53603-$63608>> with appointment to be within this range based on relevant skills and experience.
- A management team who are dedicated to your growth and success
- A friendly and inclusive team environment
Here's what you need to apply
Click ‘Apply Now' and tell us how you would be a great associate patent examiner.
To find out more about this position and how to join MBIE, please refer to the attached Role Description or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Now' button. This will allow you to register your details and submit your application for this vacancy.
Your application must include a Cover Letter, CV and Transcript (official or unofficial).
Applications close 5pm, October 26 2020