Technical Advisor - Petroleum and Minerals Team | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| ERM - Technical Advisor Petroleum and Minerals PD - September 2020.doc (Word, 115KB)
|Application Close Date:||01-Nov-2020|
- Opportunity to contribute to the management of NZ's natural resources
- Be part of a self-motivated, high-performing, professional team
- Full-time, permanent position based in Central Wellington
Technical Advisor – Energy & Resource Markets: Petroleum and Minerals Team
We have a great opportunity for a Technical Advisor to contribute to the operations of our Petroleum and Minerals teams. This position plays an important role across two teams that are responsible for assessing regulatory compliance and the commercial viability of petroleum and mineral deposits.
The Energy and Resource Markets (ERM) branch is responsible for regulating the Crowns Mineral estate. Within this branch, the Petroleum and Minerals teams regulate the responsible development of the Crown's mineral estate across a range of commodities including petroleum, gold, silver, platinum, coal and aggregates. The work of the teams includes managing active prospecting, exploration and mining permits during their lifecycle, and processing permit applications. Additional functions include responding to Official Information Act requests, input into policy advice and writing briefings for the Minister.
Key tasks include delivering quality results on:
- Efficient assessment of prospecting, exploration and mining applications
- Effective management of permits during their life cycle including supporting compliance / enforcement action where appropriate
- Assisting with information requests
- Contributing to and writing Ministerial briefings
- Working with iwi relationship advisors and helping to grow our partnership with iwi
- Building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Consistently working to improve and enhance the way we deliver our business to get the best outcomes for the sector and for New Zealand
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and / or experience working in the natural resources sector with an understanding of how responsible development of natural resources can contribute to New Zealand's economy
- Proven ability to deliver high quality customer service (internal and external)
- Exceptional organisational ability and the ability to manage time effectively
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to convey complex technical concepts to a range of different audiences
- Sound analytical skills and problem solving ability
- Ability to positively adjust to changes in priorities, and to maintain performance when under pressure
Come work with smart and driven people that want to make a difference
MBIE is an incredibly diverse organisation, employing more than 4,000 people across a range of roles. We share a commitment to growing New Zealand for all. Our values are part of everything we do. Our people are strong collaborators, who believe we are always Better Together – Mahi Tahi. We are Bold and Brave - Māia in the way we create, innovate, learn and share. We take charge of Building our Future – Pono Me Te Tika and we Own It – Pae Kahurangi in everything we do.
We create opportunities for our people to gain experience in different parts of our organisation. We are committed to providing contemporary, flexible ways of working so our people can work in a way that best suits them, their work and their life. That includes giving our people more choice about when, how and where they work.
How to apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website (careers.mbie.govt.nz).
You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Lapulou at Lapulou.Moale@mbie.govt.nz quoting reference MBIE/1484967 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday 1st November 2020.