Senior Policy Advisor - Economic Development and Transitions Branch | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||30-Mar-2020|
- Play a leading role in shaping New Zealand's economy for the future
- Be part of a dynamic and collaborative branch at the interface of government and business
- Apply your expertise to important and interesting policy issues, while continuing to hone your policy skills
We are seeking a Senior Policy Advisor to join our Industry Policy Team.
In the Industry Policy team we develop a deep understanding of the potential of different sectors of the economy, and think strategically about the role of government in supporting the development of industry in New Zealand.
This is an opportunity to play a leading role in the development of Industry Transformation Plans. We identify and actively partner with key sectors to set pathways to a more productive, sustainable and inclusive future, and to develop and implement policy that helps to realise this vision.
We are part of the Economic Development and Transitions Branch. The branch is responsible for providing policy advice on issues relating to the growth of our firms, sectors and regions. We are interested in how the government supports sectors, regions and workers through transitions, whether they be from adapting to climate change policy responses, or other effects such as automation or technological disruption.
We work hard on interesting topics and with a diverse range of stakeholders. We work collaboratively, and harness the knowledge and ideas of others with different perspectives and experiences. We celebrate our successes, support each other on the challenges, and importantly, we enjoy what we do.
MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing experience across a broad variety of areas. We are the government's lead advisor on economic development and across the Ministry we hold a number of levers that directly affect our business environment. MBIE offers the ability to work on policy issues that make a real difference. You will get a mix of on the job and opportunities for more formal career development. And we'll help you manage a healthy work life within your whole of life.
About the role
As a Senior Policy Advisor in MBIE you will be responsible for shaping and delivering key projects, working collaboratively in the team and across agencies. You will bring your proven policy, relationship and delivery skills to support our work with key partners.
Experience in economic development policy would be valuable, but most important is the ability to think analytically and strategically about issues. An ability to engage effectively with sector stakeholders to influence outcomes is critical.
We are looking for someone at the Senior Advisor level who:
- Is a strong critical thinker and problem solver, with an understanding of public policy processes
- Leads and delivers complex projects
- Manages credible, respected relationships and engage effectively with diverse stakeholders (including Ministers, staff in partner agencies, Maori partners, industry partners, and other key external stakeholders)
- Communicates coherently and with clarity on complex issues
- Has a positive, can-do attitude and is flexible and adaptive to changes in requirements
- Provides coaching and mentoring to others during your day to day work
How to find out more and apply
If rotation applies to you, please click on the “Apply online” button below and attach your completed expression of interest to rotate form and a copy of your current development plan.
Preference will be given to MBIE Policy staff who meet the eligibility criteria to rotate and have confirmed their intention to rotate.
If rotation does not apply to you, please follow the online process to submit your up to date CV and cover letter.
All applications must be submitted via our online process.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
Applications close at 5pm on Monday 30 March.