Senior Policy Advisor | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PD - Senior Policy Advisor.pdf (PDF, 380KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-Feb-2020|
- Energy Sector Policy
- Be a strong influencer, well placed to advise on the energy sector's ability to contribute to reducing emissions, adapt to new technologies, empower consumers, and deliver secure energy
- Great opportunity if are you interested in thinking strategically about the role of energy markets in shaping the transition to a low emissions economy
- Fixed-term and permanent opportunities
We are looking for experienced and energetic Senior Policy Advisors to join the Energy Markets Policy team at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), based in Wellington. We have multiple opportunities available for permanent and fixed-term roles.
Why work for us?
It is an exciting time to be working in energy sector policy! The energy sector presents some of the largest opportunities and challenges to decarbonising our economy. At the same time new technologies are transforming the sector from the inside out and are challenging our existing regulatory frameworks. The Energy Markets Policy team is at the centre of a number of Government priorities including advising on the role of the energy sector in contributing to the transition to a low emissions economy, reviewing New Zealand's electricity prices and looking at New Zealand's frameworks for energy security and resilience.
We are looking for Senior Policy Advisors
To work in this role you'll need to love an intellectual challenge and won't be afraid of ambiguity. You are an experienced policy professional who can think big and deliver tangible results. You are a superb communicator with influencing skills to work collaboratively across various groups. Furthermore, you bring a solid understanding of legislative frameworks and processes, and a strong understanding of the wider political environment and Ministerial priorities.
As a truly experienced Policy professional, you have a passion and ability for developing the capability and expertise of others through coaching, mentoring and the provision of up to date frameworks, concepts, knowledge and best practice.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for people with experience of applying policy principles in a number of projects, strong stakeholder management and communications skills, and a track record of problem solving and formulating high quality advice, particularly in highly ambiguous situations. You have:
- Experience in leading complex policy projects
- Experience in working across agencies to influence across portfolios
- An understanding of the role of government, regulators and the policy process
- Strong stakeholder relationship building, influencing and engagement skills to gain the cooperation and commitment of others
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to present information and ideas effectively and engagingly to a wide range of audiences
- An understanding of the energy markets sector and the ability to think about future areas for policy development, practices, projects, and strategies
- The ability to cut through ambiguity and deliver results
How to apply
Please follow the instructions by clicking on the Apply button. This will direct you to our careers website online application process where you can upload your up to date CV and cover letter.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
The position description from the advert can be found on our careers page, or for more information please email Lapulou.Moale@mbie.govt.nz and quote reference MBIE/1449518
Applications close 5pm, Friday 28 February 2020