General Manager Building System Performance | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description General Manager Building System Performance.pdf (PDF, 443KB)
|Application Close Date:||05-Feb-2020|
- Opportunity to lead the team that provides policy and technical advice on New Zealand's building system, rules and standards; and implement building legislation and regulations.
- Influential position to build strong relationships across central and local government and industry to create a higher functioning sector that supports the wellbeing of all New Zealanders.
- Provide people centric leadership to a large diverse team, including policy and technical experts.
About the branch
The Building Systems and Performance (BSP) branch is responsible for providing robust policy, technical and regulatory advice on building and construction activities. The branch is also responsible to provide strategic advice, operational regulation, and external sector leadership to ensure that building legislation, and regulations including the Building Act are effectively managed.
About the position
As General Manager BSP, you report directly to the Deputy Chief Executive Building, Resources and Markets (BRM), and are a member of the BRM senior leadership team.
You will lead a large and diverse team covering policy advice on building performance, technical leadership on the Building Act, stakeholder engagement, building system design and implementation as well as development of the regulatory system including monitoring and evaluating its performance.
Having a strong people focus, your position is a key role working with sector stakeholders to support delivery and compliance with fit-for-purpose, future focussed building regulation that protects people's safety and property, promote sustainability and strengthen the performance of the building industry.
You will lead exploring new ideas and will take responsibility for addressing building and construction sector challenges, support transformation and lift performance of the building system. You will lead a team working closely together to make sure outcomes make it easier for stakeholders across the industry, public sector and people of New Zealand.
Key skills/experience required
- Experience leading in a public policy or regulatory context whilst already having understanding of New Zealand's building sector would be an advantage
- Experience leading the development and delivery of policy advice and regulatory operation
- Proven experience running legislative change programmes in public policy or regulatory context
- Proven people centric leadership skills including demonstrated ability to engage and motivate staff
- Ability to quickly establish and build strong internal and external working relationships including Ministers, senior public service officials, and heads of industry
- A proven strategic systems thinker who is able to maintain oversight across various work programmes
- Have the ability to gain and maintain a national security clearance to Secret level
If you would like to receive the candidate information pack or wish for a confidential conversation, please email Peter.vandeMerwe@mbie.govt.nz.
To apply, please submit your application online by clicking on the ‘Apply' button. This will allow you to register your details and upload your CV and covering letter.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process
Applications close 5pm Wednesday, 5 February 2020