Policy Director | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Policy Director ESB January 2020.pdf (PDF, 366KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Jan-2020|
- Influential leadership role
- Challenging, visible and diverse role
- Wide scope to set an agenda and make a tangible difference to New Zealanders
About the role:
We are looking for a highly experienced policy leader to join the Economic Strategy Branch's leadership team in a permanent role. The focus of the role will be on leading a cross-cutting work programme aimed at deepening our understanding of the New Zealand economy and working towards a productive, sustainable and inclusive economy. There is wide scope to shape your own work programme across a variety of both strategic, long-term thinking and day-to-day delivery.
Skills and experience required:
We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- Extensive experience in a policy leadership role
- Experience leading and working through others to deliver a multi-pronged work program
- Strong relationship management and influencing skills, including with Ministers, senior officials, internal and external stakeholders and the ability to engage with and take into account a diverse range of perspectives
- Ability to operate as part of the Branch leadership team including working alongside managers and teams to build and enhance policy capability
- The legal right to live and work in New Zealand
About the team:
The Economic Strategy Branch was established in late 2019, bringing together a range of already existing teams within the Strategic Policy and Programmes Group. The Branch brings people, perspectives and new knowledge together to take a future-focused, system view of the economy to support economic transitions across the whole economy. We're focused on:
- Leading MBIE's work on economic strategy with a focus on economic transitions including climate change and the future of work
- Advising, coordinating and delivering the Government's economic plan
- Driving improved economic policy outcomes for Pasifika peoples
- Developing and leading MBIE's future focus and systems thinking capability
- Advancing MBIE's strategic research agenda
Why work for us?
MBIE's purpose is to “Grow New Zealand for All”. The Economic Strategy Branch plays a key part in this. We operate in a high trust environment and developing our policy staff is a key focus for us. Our people are empowered to bring fresh perspectives to issues and to think outside the box.
As the largest policy shop in NZ, MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing leadership and broader policy experience across a broad variety of areas. We encourage excellence and proactively support development through on-the-job learning, training courses, conferences and seminars, development programmes, secondments, rotations to other branches and study opportunities. We'll help you manage a healthy work-life balance with flexi-time and access to health insurance.
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Jo Smith at joanne.smith@@mbie.govt.nz quoting ref MBIE/1442284 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday 26th January 2020.