Senior Business Advisor | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Senior Business Advisor - Position Description - December 2019.pdf (PDF, 316KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Jan-2020|
- Shape the future direction of MBIE's Evidence & Insights branch
- Support leadership in its planning, performance, reporting, and risk management activities
- Champion and drive continuous improvement initiatives
About the role:
The Senior Business Advisor supports the branch in its reporting and planning functions to ensure the branch is well positioned to achieve its goals. The role is responsible for working in partnership with managers to strengthen the overall capability of the branch, and for helping to ensure the quality and consistency of advice, services and practices across the branch.
The role reports to the Manager of the Strategy and Stewardship team, whose focus is on continuous improvement, building foundations and setting best practice, and supporting wider MBIE with survey, research and evaluation advice.
You will play a key role in supporting the General Manager and Director, Evidence & Insights, in maintaining relevant governance and leadership arrangements. The role will also provide support in areas including planning and reporting, preparation of business plans and being a key contact between the branch and other groups within MBIE. The Senior Business Advisor will also represent MBIE in one-off and long termprojects by playing a key supporting role for the branch.
You will be a natural relationship manager, with an ability to engage and support staff to help further strengthen understanding and awareness across MBIE. You will also be committed to innovation, continuous improvement and generating new ideas and ways of doing things.
Flexible working hours/arrangements can be offered for this role.
Skills and Experience:
We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- Proven experience of leading, managing and coordinating input to accountability documents and processes associated with those documents
- A strong understanding of the machinery of government processes that underpin the operations of the public sector environment
- Good project planning and management skills
- Ability to quickly assimilate new information at a high level, and come to an understanding of unfamiliar and complex issues
- Proven ability to think strategically, develop frameworks and manage organisation wide systems and processes
- Proactively identifies key relationships and possesses an ability to quickly establish and build strong working relationships and credibility with managers and staff
- Confidence managing up and leading with influence instead of authority
- Exceptional teamwork and collaborative abilities and a willingness to share knowledge and expertise with others
- Experience working in an agile environment, or where continuous improvement principles have been adopted
- Relevant tertiary qualification preferred and/or comparable experience of working within a government environment on strategy and business development and planning
- A strong interest in data and insights, technology, and/or evidence used for decision making would be hugely beneficial.
Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or New Zealand permanent residents.
Why work for us:
MBIE is one of New Zealand's largest, most influential and most diverse public sector agencies. This means that we are able to offer significant opportunities for developing experience across a broad variety of areas.
We aim to create a culture where our people are empowered to bring fresh ideas and perspectives and to develop new approaches.
We also take the time to foster a work environment that is enjoyable for all. This means we like to collaborate, support and encourage our people, encourage excellence and innovation and take the time to have some fun and celebrate our successes.
About the branch:
The Evidence and Insights branch was established in August 2018 and sits within the Corporate, Governance and Information Group (CGI). We are responsible for the full range of research, evaluation and data analysis functions across all of MBIE's areas of responsibility, providing the good quality evidence that MBIE requires to inform its decisions.
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Please e-mail Fi Sanderson at Fi.Sanderson@mbie.govt.nz if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday 26 January 2020.