|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position desccription - Market Services - Investigating Officer - Jan 2020.pdf (PDF, 391KB)
|Application Close Date:||24-Jan-2020|
- Are you comfortable working remotely as part of a developing and growing regional team
- Help achieve compliance with New Zealand Tenancy laws through risk based assessments.
- Investigate Serious Breaches of Residential Tenancy Legislation
- Full time role with Christchurch location
A unique opportunity exists to join the Housing & Tenancy team as an Investigating Officer.Be part of a high profile Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment initiative to improve the New Zealand Tenancy System to ensure healthier, safer homes for all those renting in the New Zealand market.
As an Investigator you will play a key role in ensuring that New Zealand residential landlords ensure their business models and practices are compliant with the Residential Tenancy Act (RTA). This will involve monitoring market trends and being involved in activities which promote the value proposition of compliance with landlords, a key part of this work will be working to a national risk based assessment programme which is driven by our sector strategies and focus areas.
The Investigator will investigate serious instances of non-compliance and breaches and will need to make good sound decisions based on the evidence collected. These investigations require a careful measured approach to gathering evidence and other relevant information which could be used to resolve disputes directly or could be required to support enforcement outcomes such as tribunal action or prosecution.
The Investigator is a key role in resolving tenancy breaches early on through effective interventions and assessments. Depending on the nature of the dispute, the Investigator will team up with a senior member of the team for the more complex, systemic and serious breaches.
The Investigator will have the opportunity to provide expertise around processing evidence, report writing and providing support as well as leadership on the larger cases. This could be a great opportunity for those wanting exposure to that next level of the investigative process. It is also expected that they will participate in cross government initiatives and joint operations.
The Investigator will often be the face of the branch for tenants, landlords and property managers, from all walks of life, requiring a high level of professionalism, communication skills and tenacity. We are a new team of highly skilled professionals keen to make a difference to New Zealanders who rent their homes.
Skills and Experience required:
- Experience in planning and undertaking investigation and enforcement processes
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of administrative law and the principles of natural justice and fairness
- Sound investigative abilities including gathering, researching, analysing and evaluating information and working knowledge of the prosecution process.
- Demonstrated success in roles which required advanced decision making skills and applying analytical techniques or models to problem definition and analysis
- Strong relationship builder, confident communicator who can work with a range of people across different cultures and background.
- Experience in completing technical assessments and managing a regional assessment program.
- In return we offer genuine career opportunities, development and a supportive team environment.
- Must have legal right to live and work in NZ
Together, our developing team have ambitions to be the best and we want to employ the best people, with the right skills, experience and the right attitude, if that sounds like you then please click on the “Apply Now” button to read and download the position description. Please apply directly online, complete the application form, and submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role. All applications must be formally submitted via the online process in order to be considered.
If you have any queries please contact Matt.Guy on firstname.lastname@example.org referencing MBIE/1441797
Applications close at 5.00pm, Friday 24 January 2020.