Senior Fire Engineer | Auckland
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Senior Fire Engineer.pdf (PDF, 357KB)
|Application Close Date:||22-Nov-2019|
- Help set the direction of the building and construction sector in New Zealand
- Join a growing, energetic and passionate team
- Work on a diverse and challenging range of projects
- Location flexible
About the role
We need a Senior Fire Engineer to help us shape and set the performance requirements of the Building Code. This is a highly influential role where, as an experienced Fire Engineer, the work you do will impact on the built environment. You will be able to contribute to the future direction of the Building Code Clauses C1-C6 and changes to the Acceptable Solutions and Verification Methods that support these Clauses. You will have the opportunity to get involved in new initiatives, collaborating with industry experts, to develop and promote improvements in New Zealand fire engineering regulations.
What we do
The Building System Performance branch, within MBIE, is the central regulator and steward of New Zealand's building and construction system. It sets the strategic direction for the building system as well as providing policy and technical advice on rules, regulations and legislation for the building system to meet New Zealand's current and future needs.
A key priority for the branch in the coming year is improving the building regulatory system to be more user centric. This work is crucial in providing New Zealand with safe and durable buildings by delivering a confident and efficient regulatory system to enhance the performance of the construction sector and balance accountabilities.
The Building Performance and Engineering team are supporting the regulatory reform by changing the way we review and set technical requirements in the Building Code. We are increasing the size of the team to ensure we can deliver updates to the Building Code twice a year.
Skills and experience for the role
To be a Senior Fire Engineer, you need to have;
- Tertiary degree qualification in fire engineering. CP Eng qualification or equivalent specialising in Fire engineering desirable.
- Extensive experience in fire engineering and a reputation as an expert in this field.
- Can-do attitude
- Good communication skills – able to provide specialist advice and share knowledge in a clear manner
- Previous experience managing complex projects
- Good knowledge of the Building Act and Code
- Ability to quickly assimilate new information or areas of work
- Ability to provide specialist advice
- Ability to quickly establish and build strong working relationships.
- Proven ability to develop trust and credibility with managers and staff.
Why you should join us at MBIE
As the New Zealand Government's lead business-facing agency, MBIE offers the opportunity to directly influence the way business is done in New Zealand to help shape and deliver a strong economy — through face-to-face contact with ministers, influencing legislation and day-to-day interaction with our stakeholders.
MBIE is an incredibly diverse organisation, employing over 4,000 people across a range of roles, who share a commitment to growing New Zealand for all. MBIE provides a dynamic work environment with an emphasis on career growth and progression.
MBIE provides a dynamic and flexible work environment with an emphasis on career growth and progression.
How to apply
Click on the APPLY button in order to be directed to our on-line careers website.
You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Marg Kennedy at Marg.Kennedy@mbie.govt.nz quoting MBIE/1430389 for further questions.
Applications now close 5pm on Friday 22 November 2019.