Principal Trade Mark Examiner Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description - Business Integrity Services - IPONZ -Principal Trade Mark Examiner PD -October 2019.pdf (PDF, 129KB)
|Application Close Date:||01-Nov-2019|
- Provide key technical leadership in Trade Mark and Geographical Indications examination practice
- Provide advice and support to MBIE policy and legal teams on the development and Trade Mark and Geographical Indications legislative and regulatory frameworks
- Manage key client and stakeholder relationships
- Train and mentor team members
- Permanent opportunity
- Wellington CBD based
About the role:
As a Principal Trade Mark Examiner you will be responsible for providing technical leadership within the Trade Marks and Geographical Indications examination team. This includes responsibility for developing both examination practices and systems processes, managing the most complex and contentious examination case, mentoring examiners and providing examination quality assurance.
You will also contribute to IPONZ wider regulatory settings by working with MBIE policy and legal teams on Trade Mark and Geographical Indications legislative reform, and providing support to both teams in Government Committee meetings.
You will be responsible for managing relationships with IPONZ / MBIE colleagues, cross-agency colleagues and key Intellectual Property (IP) stakeholders to help achieve business goals, and represent IPONZ at industry and international forums.
This role also contributes to the overall management and strategic direction of the Trade Mark team reporting to the Trade Marks Manager.
Skills and experience required:
- Extensive knowledge or experience of Trade Mark and Geographical Indications examination, law and practice and a background in IP
- The ability to understand and apply relevant Trade Mark and Geographical Indications legislation and case law, and to use it to inform decisions and practice changes.
- Proven ability to coach and mentor
- The ability to work under high pressure and resist pressure from strong advocates, and to do so within the boundaries of existing legislation, procedures and precedents
- Excellent time-management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to express thoughts, information and ideas in a clear, concise and appropriate manner.
- A drive for personal development
- The ability to work effectively with others as part of a team
- A relevant tertiary qualification in law or extensive comparative experience.
- Must have the legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
IPONZ helps New Zealand businesses protect their name, brand and ideas to realise the full economic potential of their intellectual property. IPONZ is globally recognised as one of the most innovative intellectual property offices.
IPONZ helps innovative businesses with:
- Plant Variety Rights
Find out more at www.iponz.govt.nz
Why work for IPONZ?
- Stimulating jobs in high performance teams with training and career pathways
- State of the art examination and searching tools
- Flexible working conditions to support work-life balance
- Modern central city offices
- A supportive team environment
About MBIE & Market Services:
The purpose of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is to grow New Zealand's economy to provide a better standard of living for all New Zealanders.
IPONZ sits within the Market Services group. Markets Services strives to work with businesses, employees and consumers to help them participate effectively in the market place.
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our online careers website. Here you can view the position description, complete the online application, and upload your CV and cover letter and Transcript. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be formally submitted via the online advertisement.
Email Matt Guy at Matt.Guy@mbie.govt.nz quoting ref MBIE/1425504 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on 1 November 2019