Principal Open Source Analyst | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Principal Open Source Analyst , Irregular Migration PD Oct 2019.docx (Word, 69KB)
|Application Close Date:||20-Oct-2019|
- Are you an expert open source intelligence analyst looking for a new and unique challenge?
- Lead and build open source and social media intelligence capability
- Provide expert support and advice to our broad and diverse range of customers and external domestic and international agencies
- Be the technical leadership to coach and mentor our growing and evolving analyst cohort.
About the role
In this newly created permanent role, you'll be responsible for delivering open source intelligence reporting of offshore Irregular Migration threat and developing trends.
You will bring significant and deep expertise and experience in advanced Internet-based research, and open source and social media intelligence capability.
You will develop and deliver high quality reports, recommendations and advice that meets customers' needs. You will understand how MBIE intelligence connects with the National Security System and collaborate effectively with other MBIE teams and domestic and international external agencies.
Providing coaching, mentoring and advice will be second nature to you. This will enable other analysts to deal with complex, ambiguous and sensitive requests, and build open source capability within MBIE's Intelligence Unit. You will also help to develop a culture of continuous improvement.
Skills and experience required
We're really keen to hear you if you have:
- 3+ years' experience in open source research, all-source intelligence analysis, ideally in a maritime and/ or national security environment
- Excellent analytical skills, with a problem-solving approach and robust judgement
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain excellent relationships
- Proven coaching and mentoring skills will be a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of security and demonstrated understanding of the management of classified or sensitive information
- A collaborative and action-oriented approach
- The ability to adapt within a dynamic environment
You must be a New Zealand Citizen, or hold a residence class visa. You must also hold a Top Secret security clearance.
Applicants must be able to obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET government security clearance. In order to achieve this they must be a New Zealand citizen or resident who has resided continuously in this country for 10 years, OR a citizen of Australia, Canada, The United Kingdom, or The United States of America; and have resided continuously in one or more of those countries for the past 10 years prior to application, with a background history which is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a high level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
About the team
This position is based within the MBIE Intelligence Unit, and is part of the Intelligence, Data and Insights branch within Immigration New Zealand.
Immigration New Zealand works with international organisations and industry partners to improve border security and make immigration easier. We lead government strategy designed to help migrants settle into New Zealand.
Our values are part of everything we do. Our people are strong collaborators who believe we are always Better Together – Mahi Tahi. We are Bold and Brave- Maia in the way we create, innovate, learn and share. We take charge of Building Our Future – Pae Kahurangi and we Own It – Pono Me Te Tika in everything we do.
We are part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), New Zealand's largest government department. MBIE's purpose is to grow the New Zealand economy to provide a better standard of living for all New Zealanders.
Why work for us?
First and foremost, you'll be part of a team making a real difference for New Zealand. You will also benefit from:
- Excellent training programmes and development opportunities
- 23 days annual leave
- Flexible working opportunities
- Industry competitive salary
- Exposure across NZ's largest government Ministry
How to apply
For a confidential discussion or queries about the role, please email Sarah Hutcheson on email@example.com quote ref MBIE/1424844
Click on the APPLY button below to start the online application process. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted online. Please provide a cover letter.
Applications close on Sunday 20 October at 5PM.