Senior Policy Advisor - Science Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||22-Oct-2019|
- Do you want to focus on the big opportunities to grow New Zealand for all?
- Do you want to be part of an effective and high-performing branch that is known for getting things done?
- Be part of a team that advises on the science system, the innovation system, the trade environment, or on space regulation.
About us and MBIE
MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing experience across a broad variety of areas. We proactively support development through on-the-job learning and we'll help you manage a healthy work-life balance; with flexi-time, healthcare and financial benefits, along with sports teams and social activities.
Our purpose is to grow the New Zealand economy to provide a better standard of living for all New Zealanders. The Labour, Science and Enterprise Group works with people, businesses, regions, and the science, innovation and education systems to help the country and New Zealanders to be successful.
Our branch – Science, Innovation and International – supports business success and international connections. Our areas of responsibility include international strategy, trade, space, enterprise, science and innovation, and international science partnerships. We work closely with other ministries, overseas governments and international organisations.
About the role
We are currently on the lookout for a Senior Policy Advisor with our Science Policy team. This is a secondment/fxed term opportunity until April 2020.
The Science Policy team is the Government's principal advisor on the science system. Our focus is on implementing the National Statement of Science Investment – the ten year strategy for the science system. Our main way of influencing the contribution science makes to New Zealand is through government's annual investment in science and innovation.
We work closely with both the science community and innovators to develop strategies, initiatives and funding mechanisms that support a dynamic, high-performing, science system. The science system is big, technically complex, and international – which makes the work we do interesting, varied, and challenging.
Cross-team working is an important aspect of the branch's work and at times you are likely to work closely with other teams within the branch.
You are an experienced policy generalists ready to apply your skills across a range of policy problems. You must demonstrate:
- Strategic thinking, including the ability to generate new frameworks and come up with new approaches
- Intellectual curiosity and a track record of ‘following your nose' to find, and solve, complex policy problems
- Good advisory skills, including experience of advising Ministers and senior decision-makers
- The ability to deliver high quality work with minimal supervision, while providing intellectual leadership across swathes of the team's work
How to Apply
Please follow the online process to submit your up to date CV and cover letter.
All applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website (careers.mbie.govt.nz).
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Steve Scannell email@example.com quoting reference MBIE/1421605 for further questions. Or call 04 901 8335
Applications close at 5 pm on Tuesday 22nd Octoberber