Policy Manager Health and Safety Policy, Labour & Immigration Policy | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Policy Manager August 2017.pdf (PDF, 398KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Sep-2019|
- Seeking an experienced policy manager to lead a busy, cross-cutting work programme focussed on regulatory policy
- Work with a team of dedicated and expert policy staff on medium- to long-term strategic and policy issues
- Opportunities to work closely with Ministers and a wide range of stakeholders
About the role
The Labour & Immigration Policy branch brings together MBIE's policy and regulatory teams working on the labour market and human capital: immigration, skills and employment, employment standards, employment relations, workplace health and safety, and accident compensation policy.
Consistent with MBIE's purpose of ‘Grow New Zealand for all' we advise on how labour market policy settings can best promote the economy and wellbeing for all.
The search is on for a Policy Manager to lead the Health and Safety Policy team. This role reports to the General Manager, Labour & Immigration Policy.
About the team
The Health and Safety Policy team lead advice on strategic issues across workplace health and safety and energy safety including:
- System priorities: Supporting the implementation of the Government's Health and Safety at Work Strategy and responding to emerging areas such as work-related mental health and psycho-social risks (including stress, sexual harassment and bullying) and whether the current policy settings are sufficient
- System performance: How we measure and understand the performance of the health and safety at work system
- System interfaces: Advising on the interfaces with other sectors that influence health and safety at work eg health, transport, environment and ACC, and working closely with other agencies on cross-system issues
- Oversight of system levers and funding matters, including strategic advice about the roles and priorities of the regulators.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced policy manager with a track record of leading high performing teams. You will have a broad policy background, understand the New Zealand labour market, and have excellent relationship management skills. Knowledge of regulatory policy frameworks and experience advising on regulation would be helpful.
You will enjoy interacting with and influencing a wide range of stakeholders including Ministers, other government agencies and a range of key stakeholders in the immigration and employment system. You will be effective at working with industry stakeholders too.
You will need to be comfortable with ambiguity and changing priorities, able to set direction for the team, and lead, empower, and support your staff to operate in a complex and dynamic context.
As part of the branch leadership team, you will be committed to playing your part in building a branch culture that supports policy excellence and makes us a great place to work.
If you want to be part of a supportive leadership team, enjoy highly varied work, and like seeing the results of your work, then you'll enjoy the mix of fast turnaround and longer term work in the Health and Safety Policy team.
In return, we offer you
A supportive, fun and high performing team and branch environment, and the opportunity to shape and deliver on policy changes that will impact directly on the labour market and on the working lives of many New Zealanders and the flexibility and productivity of the economy.
If you would like to discuss this position further, please call Steve Scannell firstname.lastname@example.org on 04 901 8335
Applications close Friday 27th September 2019.