Senior Solicitor | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description Senior Solicitor 1 - Aug-19.pdf (PDF, 358KB)
Position Description Snr Solicitor 2 - August 2016 (3).pdf (PDF, 346KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-Aug-2019|
- Experienced commercial lawyer
- Busy role with a high degree of client interaction
- Provision of pragmatic, solutions-focussed commercial legal advice
- Strong client and stakeholder relationship skills and a genuine interest in understanding and supporting the clients
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive lawyer to join our in-house Commercial Legal team to support the Provincial Development Unit in MBIE and advise on a range of commercial and funding transactions and issues.
You will have a broad range of commercial legal experience including in drafting and negotiating a range of investment contracts.
You will be a natural relationship builder able to work with clients and other stakeholders at all levels. We are looking for a lawyer with a positive can-do attitude who is comfortable working in a dynamic, fast paced and demanding environment.
Skills and experience:
- A tertiary qualification in law and a current practising certificate.
- Commercial experience.
- Significant experience in drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Experience advising on government investment and funding mechanisms advantageous.
- Ability to provide proactive, commercial and strategic legal advice.
- Experience in advising on statutory and public law obligations advantageous.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills which allow you to convey key messages and ideas or simplify complex issues suitable to the audience.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as with others, in particular by connecting clients with the wider legal branch.
About the Provincial Development Unit:
The Provincial Development Unit (PDU) in MBIE has been established to be the focal point within Government for regional economic development, and to design and implement the Provincial Growth Fund (PGF).
Via the PGF, central government has committed to investing $1billion per annum over 3 years in regional economic development with the aim of lifting productivity potential in the provinces. Its priorities are to enhance economic development opportunities, create sustainable jobs, enable Māori to reach their full potential, boost social inclusion and participation, build resilient communities, and help meet New Zealand's climate change targets.
Why work for us
We aim to create a culture where our people are empowered to bring fresh perspectives to issues and develop new approaches. Our collaborative team encourages a positive, customer focussed, innovative and best in class attitude to deliver excellence to our customer groups.
MBIE's purpose is to grow the New Zealand economy to provide a better standard of living for all New Zealanders. At MBIE, we look for people who are passionate about New Zealand and enthusiastic about making a positive change to our economy, our people and our safety. As part of the Corporate Governance and Information Group, MBIE's Legal Branch is responsible for providing a centre of legal advice leadership and expertise for MBIE, and is an exemplar of best practice for both the public service and the wider New Zealand labour and business markets.
How to apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role.
We are open to considering applications on a fixed-term or secondment basis. If you wish to apply on this basis please note this in your application.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Jo Smith firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Applications close at 5pm on the 28th August 2019.