MANAGER GEOSCIENCE INFORMATION | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| ERM - Information Services - Manager Geoscience Information - July 2019 v2.docx (Word, 59KB)
|Application Close Date:||29-Jul-2019|
Manager Geoscience Information
- Lead a team of dedicated data management professional through a digital transformation
- Implement new systems and adopt new ways of working to unlock the potential within our geoscience and technical data collections
- Support Energy & Resource Markets regulatory system by providing technical expertise and service excellence
About the role.
Data is at the heart of what we do. We are on an ambitious digital transformation journey that aims to unlock the potential and generate insight from our collections and data. In doing so we will apply FAIR data principles – Findability, Accessibility, Interoperability and Reusability - transforming the way we work by dismantling old data methods and systems and adopting new.
The Manager Geoscience Information is a people management position in MBIE with responsibility for the stewardship of nationally significant geoscience data and collections held by the Energy & Resource Markets branch. Responsibilities of the manager span the entire lifecycle of geoscience information from its submission, quality assurance, storage, protection, preservation, release, through to public distribution.
Day to day you will:
- Lead an operational team ensuring they have the tools and interfaces necessary to enable effective service delivery, compliance and operational performance
- Work with our service providers to maintain and improve our geoscience and technical data storage and transfer systems
- Oversee service provision, contractor performance, quality and automation
- Build effective relationships with key stakeholders internally, externally and internationally
- Build credible regulatory relationships with the mineral and petroleum resource sectors and other regulatory agencies
- Lead a data services transformation work programme
Skills and experience required:
We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- Experience in global best practice to make diverse national geoscience data Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR)
- A track record leading a team of technical experts to deliver high quality services
- Experience managing projects, vendor relationships and performance
- Understanding of resource exploration workflows including being able to integrate across different geological, exploration and business datasets
- Ideally you will have a tertiary qualification in Geosciences or Information Management, or a related discipline or equivalent experience
- Minerals or petroleum industry experience desirable
- Must have the legal right to live and work in NZ
About the team:
The Energy & Resource Markets branch sits within the Building, Resources & Markets Group and provides policy and regulatory advice on energy markets, strategic advice, operational regulation, compliance services and external sector leadership to ensure that New Zealand's energy markets, oil, gas, mineral and coal resources are effectively managed.
Why work for us?
Our work is at the heart of the government's programme to transition to a low emissions economy and sustainably derive value from the natural environment. We take pride in our service ethic, our reputation as a trusted advisor and our operational performance. We value diversity and embrace innovation. Join the Information Services unit on our transformational journey to improve the stewardship and unlock the value of our nationally significant collections of geoscience and technical data.
MBIE is the lead agency for making it easier for business to work with government. MBIE's purpose is to grow the New Zealand economy to provide a better standard of living for all New Zealanders. We do this by working with others to help businesses to be more competitive, improving job opportunities and by ensuring quality housing is more affordable.
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref MBIE/ 1409050 if you have any further questions. Steve Scannell Senior Advisor 04 901 8335
Applications close at 5pm on Monday 29th July