Senior Policy Advisor - Resource Markets Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Attachments:|| JD Senior Policy Advisor (1).pdf (PDF, 380KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Jun-2019|
- Set the policy direction for the legislation and resource markets that power New Zealand
- Work across MBIE as well as alongside iwi partners, industry and other government agencies
- 12 months fixed-term or Secondment opportunity
A valued member of our policy team has taken a secondment to a minister's office. As a result we're looking for a Senior Policy Advisor for up to 1 year, to join us in reviewing the resource markets regulatory system, helping us shape resource markets to meet New Zealand's current and future needs. This role will help shape the future of New Zealand's resources sector and will be directly relevant to the transition to a low carbon economy.
Resource Markets Policy
The Resource Markets Policy team provides policy advice on the development of New Zealand's mineral and petroleum resources, and the effective operation of gas and liquid fuel markets. The team is working to align the development of resources with wider Government priorities and build linkages with the transition to a low carbon economy and clean technology. Key projects you could be working on with the team include:
- a leading role in the review of the Crown Minerals Act
- providing secondary advice on marine governance and related legislation
- advising on policy regarding mining on conservation land
- overseeing RMA submissions and appeals relevant to Crown minerals
As a Senior Policy Advisor you will use your excellent analytical and critical thinking skills to provide clear, well-reasoned and practical policy advice on a range of issues across the minerals and resources sector. You will lead significant policy projects, from first principles through to legislation.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for big thinkers who can also deliver tangible results. You'll need to love an intellectual challenge and won't be afraid of ambiguity. We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- A strategic outlook with the intellectual capability to analyse large, complex issues and distil these simply and deliver new and fresh insights to them.
- An experienced policy professional who can think strategically and use evidence to inform your work.
- A superb communicator with influencing skills that will allow you to work collaboratively within MBIE, across government and with external stakeholder groups.
- A solid understanding of legislative frameworks and processes.
- A strong understanding of the wider political environment and Ministerial priorities.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering high quality advice that meets organisation needs and delivers on long-term goals and objectives
- Proven experience providing intellectual and professional leadership to others with a track record of trust and respect from others within and outside their organisation.
- Sound judgement, integrity and discretion, particularly around strategic risk management
You may be at the senior level seeking to broaden your policy experience in an exciting, highly complex environment. Alternatively you may be ready for that next step up and take your career to the next level. Either way we'd love to hear from you!
How to Apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to start the online application process. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
We welcome your questions and enquiries - to discuss please contact Lapulou Mo'ale by email Lapulou.Moale@mbie.govt.nz quoting ref MBIE/14015281
Applications close at 5pm on Tuesday 26 June 2019