Senior Advisor, Determinations | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PD Senior Advisor Determinations.pdf (PDF, 347KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-May-2019|
- Bring your passion for interpreting and applying legislation to make a positive impact on the building system
- Get to work on some of the more complex issues within the building sector, working within a Tribunal-like environment
Play your part in shaping one of New Zealand's leading sectors that employs 250,000 workers and is set to contribute more than $41 billion to New Zealand's economy in 2023.
The Determinations team contributes to MBIE's stewardship/kaitiakitanga of NZ's building system. We do this by developing determinations on matters of doubt or dispute about the application of building legislation and by contributing to the oversight of building consent authority functions.
About the role
This is your opportunity to step up and utilise your extensive legislative knowledge to solve some complex issues and support compliance with building regulation. You'll be dealing with others who care just as deeply as you do about ensuring compliance with the law and helping those in the building sector to better understand the building code.
As part of the Determinations team you will provide customers with binding decisions, guidance and clarity about the application of building legislation. Our customers include building owners, building consent authorities (e.g. local councils), agents for building owners (e.g. lawyers and consultants) and industry professionals (e.g. engineers).
You will be supported by a team of experienced senior advisors who work collaboratively to test and challenge each other's points of view. As a senior member of the team, you will contribute to best practice both from a technical and process perspective. You will also be given the opportunity to coach more junior members of the team as you work together on casework or projects. You'll also work to ensure the Determinations process is well-administered and is fair to all who use it.
Skills and experience for the role
- You may be experienced in a tribunal setting (or similar) and be looking for your next challenge
- You'll have a strong desire to resolve disputes and help New Zealanders to understand and apply the law
- Your background will show your experience in interpreting and applying legislation, as well as managing regulatory processes
- You'll have a proven ability to clearly explain a regulatory framework (or similar) to a non-technical audience both verbally and in written communications
- You will be successful at managing stakeholder relationships including with customers and technical experts
- You'll enjoy analysing large amounts of complex information and identifying key issues
Come work with smart and driven people that want to make a difference
If this sounds just like the challenge you have been looking for then Apply Now! MBIE is an incredibly diverse organisation, employing more than 4,000 people across a range of roles.
We share a commitment to growing New Zealand for all. We are committed to providing more contemporary, flexible ways of working so our people can work in a way that best suits them, their work and their life. That includes giving our people more choice about when, how and where they work. We create opportunities for our people to gain experience in different parts of our organisation.
To be eligible to apply you must have the legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Click on the APPLY button below in order to start the online application process. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process. As we will be reviewing applications throughout the advertising period and may withdraw advertising at any time we encourage you to apply now.
If you have any questions please email Marg at email@example.com quoting ref MBIE/1392894
Applications close on 28 May 2019