Senior Research & Data Analyst - Evaluator | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| JD Senior Research & Data Analyst - CGI E&I (2).pdf (PDF, 424KB)
|Application Close Date:||29-Jan-2019|
- Are you interested in understanding how government policies affect the economic well-being of New Zealanders?
- Do you have well-honed evaluation skills?
- Would you like to work in a team of diverse, curious and passionate people?
The Evidence and Insights Branch, within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), works across the Ministry and government to ensure that policy and operational decisions are informed by evidence. Within this Branch the Business and Economic Development team delivers actionable evidence and insights that contribute directly to MBIE's purpose to ‘grow New Zealand for all'. You will lead high-profile evaluations of government initiatives related to regional and sectorial economic development.
About the role:
You will have the opportunity to work in multi-disciplinary teams and across all aspects of evaluation including: designing fit-for-purpose evaluation approaches (key evaluation questions, intervention logics and outcome frameworks); synthesising evidence and communicating insights; providing evaluation advice; mentoring junior staff; supervising contractors. While your technical evaluation skills are important, to be successful in this role you will also require good interpersonal and communication skills.
We value creative and curious people who are committed to innovation and continuous improvement, and generating new ideas and ways of doing things. We will enable you to develop your professional practice, including through learning from other highly experienced evaluators through MBIE's Evaluation Community of Practice.
The successful appointee will work within an existing team of eight researchers and data scientists who have a mix of quantitative and qualitative skills, and will report to the Manager of the Business and Economic Development team.
Why work for us:
MBIE is one of New Zealand's largest, most influential and most diverse public sector agencies. This means that we are able to offer significant opportunities for developing experience across a broad variety of areas.
We strive to create a culture where our people are empowered to bring fresh ideas and perspectives and to develop new approaches.
We also take the time to foster a work environment that is enjoyable for all. This means we like to collaborate, support and encourage our people, encourage excellence and innovation, and take the time to have some fun and celebrate our successes.
Skills and Experience:
We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- An interest in applying your evaluation skills to the broad domain of economic development
- A proactive, can-do attitude with a high level of initiative, sound judgement and discretion
- The ability to quickly establish and build strong working relationships and to develop trust and credibility with senior managers, staff and key internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional teamwork and collaborative abilities and a willingness to share knowledge and expertise with others
- An ability to convey evidence and insights in a jargon free way that engages and meets the needs of the audience
- A strong customer focus
- Previous public sector experience is preferred but not essential.
Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or New Zealand permanent residents.
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Please e-mail Sarah Frost at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions quoting reference MB1375206.
Applications close on 29 January 2019.