Manager Pacific Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Policy Manager August 2017.pdf (PDF, 398KB)
|Application Close Date:||27-Sep-2018|
- Lead and drive MBIE's Pacific Policy Work Programme
- Lead and influence cross-cutting work within MBIE and across Government
- Work at the interface of policy and operations
- Permanent Wellington based role
About the role
We are seeking a Manager for our Pacific Policy team to join the Strategic Programmes Branch within the Strategic Policy and Programmes Group. This is a senior role supporting the General Manager Strategic Programmes that requires both the ability to be able to develop and apply policy, manage a highly performing team, and work across the branch and influence the work of the Ministry and more broadly across government.
As the Manager of the Pacific Policy Team you will lead the development of cross-cutting policy that impacts on Pacific people as well as the delivery of a work programme which makes a real difference to the lives of Pacific people in New Zealand. This includes responsibility for the public sector's flagship Tupu Tai internship programme.
You will lead and manage a team located in both Wellington and Auckland and which needs to be able to engage and influence a range of staff and stakeholders across the sector. You will need to drive and own a collective work programme that is supported across the Ministry.
About MBIE's Strategic Programmes Branch
The Strategic Programmes Branch houses strategically important programmes that require significant leadership and/or shaping from the CE and collaboration across MBIE. The Branch was created in February 2017 and currently includes Pasifika, Government Centre for Dispute Resolution, Better for Business, the Chief Data and Insights Officer and the Director Auckland.
Strategic Programmes works closely with a range of other internal and external stakeholders including other policy teams and service delivery arms within MBIE, other Government agencies, regions, industry and businesses.
Why work for us
- The Strategic Policy and Programmes Group vision is: “Looking ahead and working across – Haumi ē, Hui ē, Taiki ē.” Our value proposition is that we imagine, influence, incubate and integrate our work across MBIE and beyond.
- We are a highly engaged and committed team working collaboratively with MBIE and Government colleagues to improve services and outcomes for all New Zealanders.
Skills and Experience
To be considered for this role you will need more than just policy smarts – we also need someone with drive and innovation who can achieve ambitious goals and create and implement real solutions working at the interface of the policy and operational parts of government.
- The ability to connect across the Pacific community within MBIE, across government and across New Zealand.
- The ability to think, plan and act strategically; to engage others in the vision, and position MBIE to meet customer and future needs.
- A demonstrated ability to leverage your relationships with stakeholders to influence and to find ways through complex issues.
- The ability to make connections within and between work programmes across the organisation and beyond.
- The desire to work on whole-of-organisation, whole-of-government and whole-of-public sector issues
- A tertiary qualification, preferably post-graduate, in social science, economics, law, public policy or a related discipline and relevant experience in a senior public sector role.
How to apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to the application page. From here you can upload your CV and cover letter.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Sarah.Frost@mbie.govt.nz quoting ref MB1356286 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Thursday the 27th of September 2018.