Senior Data and Research Analyst - Strategic Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Senior Research and Data Analyst.pdf (PDF, 376KB)
|Application Close Date:||30-Sep-2018|
- Apply robust research and data analysis methods to provide policy insights.
- Work in a lively and stimulating team to improve New Zealand's prosperity and wellbeing.
- Contribute to shaping the government's microeconomic strategy.
Strategic Policy is looking for an experienced senior researcher to join our small and nimble strategy team. This is an outstanding opportunity to bring your data and analytical skills to bear on issues that matter for the wellbeing of New Zealanders.
About the role
As a researcher in the Strategic Policy branch, you will use your research and data expertise and work collaboratively with policy advisors and other analysts to deepen MBIE's understanding of New Zealand's economic performance.
You will develop and deliver research projects considering aspects of firm performance and employee outcomes using micro data and robust econometric techniques.
The Strategic Policy branch works across MBIE's policy areas to provide the context for MBIE's economic policy advice, and to help set MBIE's medium-term direction and advise the government on its microeconomic strategy.
- We identify and respond to policy issues that cut across MBIE's areas of responsibility and help to align areas of the organisation.
- We contribute to a deeper understanding of the economic system and identify where and how its implications cut across MBIE.
- We look forward, helping MBIE to identify and respond to medium- to long-term opportunities and risks to the economy.
Why work for us?
At MBIE, we look for people who are passionate about New Zealand and enthusiastic about developing our economy in order to improve all New Zealanders' standard of living.
Working in Strategic Policy, you will have the opportunity to:
- Identify and work on exciting cross-cutting or future-focussed economic issues
- Build a strong understanding of New Zealand's economic development
- Work within a multidisciplinary team (research, strategy and policy) with a diverse work programme
- Help shape MBIE's strategic direction in order to help achieve the organisation's economic goals
- Build strong links across the organisation by working closely with MBIE colleagues across policy groups
Skills and experience required
To be successful in this role you will need to:
- Have significant experience in applied econometrics or other advanced quantitative techniques
- Have a strong understanding of economic and policy concepts and enjoy providing relevant research insights into policy issues
- Be proficient in the use of one or more data management and quantitative analysis software tools
- Be proactive and think strategically in identifying, developing and delivering research projects
- Be customer-focused and develop strong relationships with key stakeholders
- Be a strong communicator, able to confidently communicate technical material to non-technical audiences
- Be effective at guiding and coaching other researchers in their projects
- Foster an open, collaborative environment that encourages quality, innovation, on-going learning and knowledge sharing
Experience working with longitudinal administrative and survey data, particularly linked employer-employee data, would be an advantage.
How to apply:
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website. You may view a position description at this site, as well as complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Please e-mail Sarah Frost on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference MB1352925 if you have any further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday the 30th of September.