Principal Royalties Auditor - Energy and Resource Markets | Wellington
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| PD Principal Royalties Auditor.pdf (PDF, 356KB)
|Application Close Date:||21-Oct-2018|
- Use your audit skills to benefit New Zealand
- Exciting opportunity for an experienced auditor to be part of our newly established Compliance team
- Use your extensive experience in internal audit, external audit, compliance or forensics to build and implement a sophisticated Royalty Audit Programme
- Ensure the Crown collects all the royalties owed from Mining & Petroleum development in New Zealand
- Permanent role, but secondments or fixed term placements will also be considered for this role
About the branch
The Energy and Resource Markets Branch (ERM) provides policy and regulatory advice on energy markets, strategic advice, operational regulation, compliance services and external sector leadership to ensure that New Zealand's oil, gas, mineral and coal resources are effectively managed.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Principal Royalties Auditor to develop and lead a programme of Royalty audits of petroleum and mining companies in New Zealand. This position is part of our newly established Compliance team in the Energy and Resource Markets Branch. The Royalty Audit programme is a critical component of the Crown Minerals regulatory system by verifying and incentivising payment of royalties owed to the Crown from Petroleum & Mining companies. The current Crown royalty return is between $200M and $300M per annum. The Royalty Programme is integral in detecting non-compliance and royalty fraud. The Principal Royalties Auditor will work with other members of the Compliance team including Compliance Officers and Investigators, and with technical experts from other teams to ensure ERM achieves successful regulatory outcomes. The work will include auditing companies as part of a wider audit strategy based on information, intelligence and risk profiles of companies to ensure that companies are complying with the law and to identify and escalate non-compliance.
The Principal Royalties Auditor will also lead assessments of complex financial transactions to ensure that the Crown maximises its return from utilisation of New Zealand's petroleum and minerals resources.
Skills and Experience
- Tertiary qualification in Accounting/Finance or other relevant qualification
- Relevant professional qualification (e.g. CIA, CA, CISA).
- At least 10 years' experience in internal audit, external audit, compliance or forensics experience
- Experience in a regulatory environment desirable
- Strong written and verbal communication skills along with outstanding organisational skills
- Excellent analytical thinking, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- General financial and business acumen
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation, policy or business rules to make decisions.
- Deliver information clearly to be understood by a range of audiences.
- Excellent organisational ability, proven ability to meet milestones and delivery dates; sound motivational skills; an ability to deliver a high standard of service under tight and competing deadlines
- Understanding of the investment and technical development cycle from exploration to production of petroleum and mining firms is desirable
- Sector experience desirable
Must have the legal right to live and work in New Zealand
Must consent to and satisfactorily complete a credit check
How to apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be directed to our on-line careers website (careers.mbie.govt.nz).
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Fi Sanderson at Fi.Sanderson@mbie.govt.nz quoting reference MBIE/1352548 with further questions.
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday 21 October 2018.