Senior or Principal Policy Advisor - Innovation Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| JD Principal Policy Advisor.pdf (PDF, 394KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Sep-2018|
- Contribute to shaping New Zealand's research, science and innovation system
- Work with high-tech businesses to grow New Zealand's knowledge economy
- Be at the cutting edge of deploying research and innovation to solve New Zealand's biggest challenges
About the role
The Innovation Policy team is responsible for growing New Zealand's knowledge economy and providing policy advice by:
- leading and shaping a whole-of-government innovation policy agenda
- developing strategies and initiatives to drive innovation
- fostering a thriving and dynamic innovation system in New Zealand
- developing a comprehensive system of supports and interventions to encourage firms to perform more R&D
- facilitating the growth of knowledge-intensive firms.
The team works closely with other policy and operational teams and experts within MBIE in the science and innovation system, and with other teams, other ministries, stakeholders and international.
Who we're looking for
The role will appeal to highly motivated, credible, innovative thinkers, experienced in policy development. In particular, we value:
- extensive policy experience at a senior level
- proven critical thinking, analytical skills and an enquiring mind
- strategic thinking, including the ability to generate new frameworks and come up with new approaches in a complex policy environment
- the ability to deliver high quality policy work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- intellectual leadership and a track record of addressing a range of complex policy issues
- excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to present information and ideas effectively and engagingly to a wide range of audiences.
- experience in building and maintaining strong relationships with a wide range of important stakeholders at strategic and influencing level.
If you are looking for a role which will provide challenge and the opportunity to significantly change the research, science, and innovation landscape in New Zealand then we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this role further with you.
In return, we offer you
MBIE offers significant opportunity for developing experience across a broad variety of areas. We proactively support development through on-the-job learning and we'll help you manage a healthy work-life balance; with flexi-time, healthcare and financial benefits, along with sports teams and social activities.
How to Apply
Click on the APPLY button below in order to be re-directed to our careers website and complete the on-line application, and upload a CV and cover letter.
Please include in your cover letter whether you are applying for the Senior or Principal Policy Advisor role.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process.
Email Peter van de Merwe at Peter.vandeMerwe@mbie.govt.nz quoting reference MBIE/1351386 with further questions.
Applications close at 5pm Wednesday 26 September 2018