Principal Policy Advisor - Tourism Policy | Wellington
|Category:||Policy and Research|
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| JD Principal Policy Advisor.pdf (PDF, 394KB)
|Application Close Date:||20-Aug-2018|
- Principal advisor to provide leadership on some of the cutting edge public policy issues affecting all New Zealanders
- Work directly with Ministers, leading policy thinkers and key stakeholders on a range of issues
- Be part of an energetic team that is leading innovative reform of New Zealand's tourism system
- Full time and/or flexible work arrangment to ensure that the hours you work benefit you, your family and our organisation
About the opportunity
We are looking for an experienced policy professional to join our high performing branch at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE). This role sits within the Tourism and Economic Development Branch, and will focus on providing advice on the role that tourism can play for New Zealand's economic and social outcomes. The Tourism Policy team has a busy but supportive working environment and strives to have fun while making a real difference to New Zealand's economy.
We are looking for a policy professional with the following skills and experience:
- Ability to apply their critical thinking and analytical skills to challenge the status quo
- The ability to collaborate and work with a wide range of stakeholders and partners, including Ministers, NGOs and local government
- A ‘can do' attitude, who take ownership of their work to deliver the best results
- Deep experience in a policy role and have a relevant qualification at bachelors level or higher
This role will offer you the scope to:
- work in a busy branch which is energised about working on diverse cross-cutting projects that have a real impact on NZ businesses
- develop new thinking on the role of government in growing key sectors of the economy
- engage with senior leaders within the Ministry and other parts of government, and the business community
- influence MBIE's overarching strategic direction
- advance your career within a diverse government agency that offers extensive professional development opportunities in a highly collaborative and innovative environment
To be successful in this role, you will need
- Experience in policy and/or policy development
- The ability to work collaboratively with the public and private sector, at a range of levels
- Attention to quality and timeliness
- Proven ability to work well under pressure (including to tight and at times unexpected deadlines)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- An ability to think broadly and strategically across a wide range of economic development issues, and apply economic frameworks
How to apply
Click the ‘Apply Now' button to register your details and submit your application.
For more information, download a copy of the position description from our careers website under reference MBIE/, or contact Peter van de Merwe on Peter.vandeMerwe@mbie.govt.nz.
Applications close at 5 pm on Monday 20 August 2018.