Labour Inspector (Tauranga) | Tauranga
|Position Type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Labour Inspector - Position Description - Market Services - May 2018 - FINAL.pdf (PDF, 351KB)
|Application Close Date:||21-Aug-2018|
- Make a difference in the community
- Ensure fair working conditions for all
- Tauranga based location, permanent opportunity
The goal of MBIE is to create a strong and high performing economy for all New Zealanders. One way we can achieve this is by constantly working to ensure New Zealand employers provide fair and compliant workplaces. The Labour Inspectorate monitors and enforces our minimum employment standards.
In this challenging, but rewarding role in the Labour Inspectorate, you will work with a diverse range of people and cultures across a wide variety of industry sectors. You will have the authority and autonomy to make decisions and take actions which affect real changes in workplaces and the working lives of New Zealanders.
One day you could be investigating a minimum wage complaint, the next you could be in the field on a worker exploitation case alongside the Police and Immigration New Zealand, or in the office auditing a company as part of a targeted enforcement project. On your days in the office you could be working with your team to come up with new creative approaches.
As Labour Inspector, you will be:
- Raising the quality of employment standards and ensuring workplaces treat employees fairly
- Challenging employer non-compliance
- Managing your own cases through the Employment Relations Authority and Employment Court
We are especially interested in hearing from those who have:
- A strong interest in community wellbeing
- Exceptional people skills with the ability to build relationships with a wide range of people and cultures
- A strong interest, and/or study towards developing a career, in employment relations
- Interpreted and applied legislation, completed investigations and written comprehensive reports.
- A full current drivers licence
- Great organisational skills and the ability to be self-managing in terms of workload
- The ability and willingness to problem solve cases with and alongside your colleagues and managers
- The ability to ask the right questions to quickly obtain the information required from employers and employees
- Tertiary qualification (desirable) but sound academic record as a minimum
- Well-developed written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrable ability to write reports and make verbal presentations to a high standard
- Previous experience in an analytical, regulatory or compliance role
Why work for us?
- You'll have full on-the-job training as well as on-going mentoring opportunities, including being able to complete nationally recognised qualifications in regulatory compliance
- We'll help you develop your career in this role and beyond
- We'll give you a great work/life balance
- You'll work with a strong, supportive and high achieving team
To apply for this role, click on the “Apply Now” button to read and download the position description. Please apply directly online, complete the application form and submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role.
If you have any queries please contact Fi Sanderson at Fi.Sanderson@mbie.govt.nz
Applications close at 5.00pm, 21 August 2018.