Chief Science Advisor | Wellington
|Attachments:|| Chief Science Advisor PD - June 2018.pdf (PDF, 434KB)
|Application Close Date:||23-Jul-2018|
Chief Science Advisor – Secondment to MBIE
- Shape the direction of science investments in NZ, and the way MBIE engages with the science sector
- Influence investment strategies and build links across the science sector
- Open to external secondment from a University or research organisation to MBIE
Utilise your credibility, influence and insight in the science sector by joining MBIE as our Chief Science Advisor.
This is a unique and important role which will allow you to make a significant impact on New Zealand's science system and how we invest in our future, whilst also cementing New Zealand's reputation for excellent research in the world of science.
As the Chief Scientist, you will have responsibility for scientific leadership within the branch and providing direction on key initiatives including:
- Investment strategies – Inform the making, managing and assessment of investments
- Building links across MBIE and with the sector
- Championing the opportunities to give effect to the Vision Matauranga policy across MBIE investments
You will be leading a small, expert team that balances science expertise and science impact. You understand both science providers and science users and will also provide support to two Departmental Science Advisors. Furthermore, you will be an important part of the network of science advisors across government. The team leads the branch's relationship with the science sector and provide scientific leadership within MBIE in areas requiring scientific depth.
Who are we looking for?
You may be currently working within a University or research organisation and looking for an opportunity to strengthen your strategic leadership skills and make a wider impact on the science sector, whilst still continuing your current research or keeping a hand in your scientific field.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate:
- A proven track record of experience and achievement in the scientific and academic community
- Thought leadership with significant contacts throughout the science sector
- Leadership in the science sector of New Zealand with contributions at an international level
- Science excellence expertise and/or expertise in assessing for science impact
- Strategic agility based on broad knowledge and perspective and a track record in creating breakthrough strategies and plans
- Experience in working across research organisations, academia and government to influence and encourage new thinking, quickly establishing rapport and creating sustained relationships
- A post graduate qualification in science.
If you are interested in finding our more and would like a confidential discussion, please contact Peter van de Merwe on Peter.vandeMerwe@mbie.govt.nz
To apply, please submit your application online by clicking on the ‘Apply' button. This will allow you to register your details and upload your CV and covering letter.
Applications close on Monday 23 July 2018